The goal of the Miami Gardens Weatherization Assistance Program is to reduce energy costs for low income families, particularly the elderly, disabled and those with children under age twelve (12), by improving the energy efficiency of their homes while ensuring their health and safety.
Currently this program is closed with the City of Miami Gardens.
Please follow the link for information on how to apply with Miami-Dade County's Weatherization Program.
The total household income may not be more than 120% above the national poverty level. Preference is given to eligible residents fifty-five (55) years and older or physically disabled residents, families with children under 12 and households with a high energy burden (repeated high utility bills).
Types of Assistance
- Address air infiltration with weather stripping, caulking, thresholds, minor repairs to walls, ceilings and floors, and window and primary door replacement
- Install attic ventilation
- Install solar screens
- Repair or replace inefficient heating and cooling units
- Repair or replace water heaters
To qualify for assistance applicant(s) must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Must be fifty-five (55) years of age or older
- Applicant(s) must own and occupy subject property within the City limits
- Property must be the applicant/s primary residence and homesteaded
- Applicant(s) must have lived in the primary residence for a minimum of 3 years
- Be current on all existing mortgage(s) and tax assessments
- Have an annual household income, which does not exceed 120% of the Area Median Income.
The City of Miami Gardens will utilize funds from the SHP Program. The State Housing Initiatives Partnership program (SHIP) provides funds to local governments as an incentive to create partnerships that produce and preserve affordable homeownership and multifamily housing.
This program is closed and currently not accepting applications.
All applicants must review the lottery-generated priority list (pdf) and await further processing information.