Planning and Zoning Manager
Cyril Saiphoo graduated from New York State University, Regents College with a Bachelor of Science, with specialization in Geography. He has since worked 3 years with Miami-Dade County as Zoning Evaluator II, then 10 years with Consul-Tech Engineering, a civil and planning consultant firm as their Land Planner. He advanced onto become the Zoning Administrator for the City of North Miami for 4 years and currently has been the Zoning Administrator for the City of Miami Gardens for 6 years.
His day-to-day activities involve primarily current land use activities, including the interpreting the City’s Land Development Regulations and Comprehensive Development Master Plan; and writing recommendation to the City Council for public hearing applications involving zoning changes, variances and special exceptions. Mr. Saiphoo also administers the City’s Development Review Committee (DRC) to facilitate pre-development meetings with developers, builders, and property owners.
Regular responsibilities involve site inspections, reviewing administrative variances, site plans, sign plans, zoning verification request, landscape permits, building permits certificates of occupancy, certificates of uses, as well as certificates of re-occupancy.
About usThe Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for all planning related activities of the City. It is composed of two operating divisions: Long Range Planning and Current Planning. The Long Range Planning Division is responsible for the development of the City’s Comprehensive Development Plan, City maps, planning studies, multi-year plans and related issues. The Current Planning Division handles the day-to-day activities related to land development and zoning reviews.
Long-Range Planning includes:
- Update and amend City’s Comprehensive Development Master Plan as needed;
- Research, data collection, analysis, preparing inventories and reports to better understand the environment;
- Facilitate the City Council’s decisions in executing the multi-year plans;
- Utilize the City of Miami Gardens Vision Statement through active public participation via charrettes and workshops to improve the quality of life and to support healthy environments;
- Focus on land use planning to accommodate current and future growth per the State’s Growth Management Laws including Concurrency Management;
- Special grants and planning studies administration;
- City maps and Geographic Information Systems mapping support;
- EDEN permitting system database support;
Current Planning and Zoning involves:
- Development review of proposed projects, implementation of land use plans and policies and public zoning inquires;
- Review of all land use applications and formulating staff recommendations addressing applications including but not limited to-
- Administrative Site Plan review;
- Administrative Variances;
- Substantial Compliance;
- Landscape Plan Review;
- Variances and Zoning Changes (Public Hearings);
- Plats and Subdivision Reviews;
- Sign Plans;
- Zoning Inspections;
- Zoning Verification Letters;
- Street Address Assignments;
- Review of Building Permits
- Review Certificates of use/Licenses;
- Group Homes applications and Verification Letters;